For Friday, I'd like you to come to class with workable (and written) definitions of the following terms:
dialect
pidgin
creole
vernacular
accent
Each of these terms should come with examples that give them some context - in other words, don't just cut and paste wikipedia definitions. I know what those are already. Put them in your own words.
Also, in your blog, I'd like you to begin reflecting on the divide that Jake raised in class today - that is, how do we deal, as teachers within our classrooms, with both the linguistic reality that no dialect can be assessed as "superior" or "inferior" (or "correct" or "incorrect") on the basis of its internal structure, and the social reality that assumptions will continue to be made about people's education and intelligence on the basis of the dialects they speak? Think about this in terms of the particular grade level you are planning on teaching, not just in general. (If you are not planning on teaching, make up a grade level.)
No comments:
Post a Comment